Love Brought You To Us

Monday morning, at the dentist, I told the assistant (who had many questions about adoption) that the birthmom who chooses us is doing so because she loves her child and wants the best for him or her.  I stopped by Ollie's on my way home, and saw the dearest little picture frame that said, "Love Brought You To Us."  I didn't buy it, because I'd been feeling particularly hopeless in the adoption waiting game.  In fact, last week when we were at the beach I reached the lowest of all low points (despite how cute our family looks in this picture!).

When I got home, I lied around feeling mopey.  Cramps, tootheache, baby ache, dread of the end of summer.  I was expecting a phone call from Doug, who is going to replace our bathroom floor.  After I spoke with Doug (who was on his way over), and got settled back on the couch with my popcorn (I know, bad choice on the day of a filling), the phone rang again.  Knowing a potential birthmother was picking up our profile today, of course my hopes got high, wondering if it was our agency calling.

And it was.

In the time it took me to identify the number and actually answer the phone, I thought of at least three reasons for them to be calling us, not related to being chosen by a birthmother.  One of them being our clearances are out of date.

Turns out, I was wrong.

"Michelle, this is Kiley...do you have a minute? J has looked at profiles and really likes yours.  In fact, she found you and Herb online several months ago, and now that she has seen your other profile, her choice is confirmed.  She is not interested in meeting any other families at this time, but would like to meet with you and Herb."

Cue the hysterical bawling ugly cry on my part.

Some time next week we are going to meet with J, join her at a doctor appointment, and make plans for the future.  J and I have been emailing each other nonstop since Monday afternoon, and it is so incredible to think that she has had us in mind for months.  She was drawn to our profile because of the style of which we presented ourselves, and our musical interest.  She also wanted a family who had no children, and could not have biological children.

After I got off the phone with Kiley, many thoughts ran through my head.  How should I tell Herb?  Who should I call first?  Should we wait to tell ANYONE until it's a firm YES?  Get those clearances NOW.
Write down everything you are feeling on the blog, you're not going to want to forget this.  I want to meet J today! I am incredibly petrified of this meeting!  My God is amazing.  Wonderful.  I don't think we're going to be going to Pittsburgh for Labor Day. :) I walked by the nursery and got chills...

So, my next step was to get our clearances ready to go.  I messed around with them for a while, and then emailed Jess to see if she was free for a few hours.  I filled her in on the phone call (and the subsequent emails from J), told her to bring her totally sweet camera, and we were off on our adventure!

Next stop, Ollie's to pick up the picture frame I spotted that morning.  I didn't know what I was going to put in the frame, but I knew I wanted to use it to tell Herb he was going to be a daddy.  While we're standing in Ollie's, J emails me again to tell me that the baby is a boy, and attached an ultrasound picture. 


We high-tailed it to target, got that picture printed out, picked up a onsie that said "I Love My Dad," and headed to Lancaster to suprise Herb at marching band rehearsal.



Herb was surprised, thrilled, excited.  The best part is, the whole thing was caught on film.  In case you missed it before, check it out!

Herb had to go to rehearsal that night, but he told me to go tell my family, so Jess followed me around like papparazzi while we told the future grandma, auntie, and uncle.  Mom thought the ultrasound picture was just a sample in the frame, then she thought it was my future neice/nephew, then she realized just who it was and started crying pretty hard.  It was awesome.



Jocelyn also thought the picture was just a sample, and then when she realized what I was trying to tell her, she needed reassured several times that I wasn't playing a practical joke.  Cue the waterworks!  We took a moment to pose a picture for the first time with the little cousins-to-be.



We ended that night with a round of Coors light and tacos, and then swung by Herb's mom's house to share the good news.  I think Denise was suspicious that we wanted to "randomly" swing by at 11:30pm.



It has now been about 60 hours since THE CALL.  In those 60 hours, I have hardly touched the ground.  I have also not slept more than 8 hours, and barely touched food.  I have visited Babies R Us, visited human resources, organized baby clothing, and made about six million phone calls.  It was foolish for me to mourn the moment - to share this amazing news has proved to be the most emotional and exciting two days of my life.  I laugh, I cry, and I just sit in awe of my God.

And by the way, did you know my small group was praying for us to become parents by the end of summer?  In May, they committed to pray for this request every day for 30 days.

For this child I have prayed, and the Lord has granted my desire...

Comments

  1. I have literally heard this story about 20 times. But I still just cried reading this blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word I'm sitting here bawling....Michelle, I'm so excited for you & Herb. Your story brought back so many emotions of what we went through in our adoption process and then finally getting THE call. It's a rollercoaster ride, but it's sooo worth it! God is sooo good - ALL the time. We all have our times to mourn the moment, but those are the times that God wants us to especially reach out to Him and carry those burdens. What a story! What a huge crowd of supporters and prayer warriors you have! What a miracle! Can't wait to hear the rest. By the way, when is the baby due?
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cue the hysterical bawling ugly cry on my part.

    This kind of crying can never be ugly. It's just so heartfelt and joyous... and beautiful!

    Congratulations, Michelle! You have no idea how happy I am for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the good cry... I am SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!! This is just wonderful, wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle I am very happy for you and Herb! The blog has been great!!!

    Glad to see things are working out for you two!! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for you! Praying that you soon have a son home in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is simply amazing and beautiful :D
    I've been stalking your blog since the weekend, knowing that you were waiting to hear something, and praying for good news becasue this is the kind of good news that makes me, a complete stranger that has followed your blog since it's beginning, very very happy.
    When is your son due?
    And you are positively beautiful and glowing, congratulations to the new parents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a fellow potential adoptive parent I've secretly following your blog. Many times you have put into words the same feelings I've had with "the wait". I now have a happy ending the hold on to seeing that you have finally received "the call". I am so excited for you and Herb. Congratulations and blessings! Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!!! This is wonderful news, as another mom waiting for the call, I am so happy for you :) Can't wait to read about it as the story unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As with everyone else, I am trying to see through my tears in order to type this post. Mike and I are so happy and excited for you and Herb. I can not think of a more deserving couple. I have found your journey so assuring and helpful as we go through our fertility trouble. You remind me that God is in control and that He can do infinitely more than we can even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle, I am so excited for you guys!! I was just thinking about you guys the other day and how long you have been waiting for that phone call and how that I hoped you would get a call really soon with good news about your baby! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cue the waterworks! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. still crying and rejoicing!!
    GAH! GOd is SO SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a story! I have been following your blog for many months, I am actually a caseworker for Bethany, but all the way in Washington! I have said many prayers for your family and am so delighted that you are in this place of celebration. Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WoW!!! I am so excited for you guys! I have been following your blog for a while and the wonderful emotions I have felt reading this today have been amazing! Thank you for sharing so much of this experience!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such wonderful news! Isn't it an amazing feeling!! Write down everything you're feeling and about the conversations you have with BMom- even though my son is just 6 weeks old- it's awe inspiring to look back on the journey once chosen...
    So, so happy for you!!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. God and that new life are amazingly beautiful...as is witnessing some of your story unfold (great video and way to share!)

    Congratulations and Blessings in the hugest way!!!! Supporting ALL of you in prayer...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm new here but just wanted to say Congrats! Enjoy this moment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Erin, and have been following your blog for quite some time. Everytime I look for an update, I hold my breath, just hoping! I've been praying for you, and this post brought tears to my eyes. I don't think I could possibly be any happier for two people that I've never met.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I've been so behind on reading blogs, and then I find this one! And the video!? Oh my gosh! Congratulations, honey! How incredibly amazingly exciting! I totally teared up watching the video! AHHH! You're going to be a mommy in just a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great news! What a wonderful end to your day. We got a similar call on Thursday and plan to meet the expectant mom tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You had me in tears through this...I had watched the film but the story is unbelievable and to think you have gone from such a high elation to such a low valley, yet again. BUT you continue to praise God through it....HOW BEAUTIFUL!! Truly truly lovely! I am so thankful to stand with you all in prayer as you journey down this road! May God see your hearts and your patience and strength and may He bless your home and hearts with His love and with a child soon! Love you guys:)

    ReplyDelete

  23. I was curious if you ever considered changing the structure of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better? netflix.com login

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love feedback!

Popular Posts